Monday 9 July 2007

A Day Out At The Wildlife Park

Well, it was Saturday morning, the sun was shining, I had been feeling particularly “under the weather” for several weeks … what could be more fitting than joining the family on a day trip to our local Wildlife Park.

So, I packed up my camera and jumped in the car and made the short and pleasant journey through the flowing fields of grass, corn and rapeseed. The cows were standing up (which, if my memory serves me correctly, clearly means that the day should remain dry). Although, with the weather in England as it is at the moment, the only way to a reliable forecast is to hold your hand out the window – and if it gets wet, then it is raining.

Anyway, I soon met up with my folks, niece and nephew – much to their rejoice, I had lost my voice due to this darn virus that I have. Hopefully, fresh air would be the perfect tonic.

We made our way into the Cotswold Wildlife Park to see the wonderful animals. Now, I won’t bore you with photographs of every animal in the Park, but I will indulge in showing you a small collection of my favourites.

Here are some photos of the Zebra. They were busy munching their way through the lush green grass (following all the rain we have been having).


















Then there was the Rhinoceros, having a doze in the sun…
















I think I got a bit close with this one…






















I liked this photograph, as it shows how this Wildlife Park fits so well into the English countryside.















Our grass must be really tasty, they're all eating it…



















I was fortunate to come cross a quintessentially English creature “The Peacock”. At home in any English Manor Garden, its call resounds around the park.

















So, I have wandered through the Savannah land of the Zebra and the Rhino, returned home to see the Peacock, now a few steps later I’m in the chilly lands of the Antarctic to see the Penguins.

This cheeky character couldn’t resist posing for me.





























Finally, one of the most quizzical mammals on earth…the Meerkat.

This little lad decided to play hide’n’seek with himself…

“I’m hiding”

















“Here I am!!!”


















“Ah, perhaps I’ll hide here…”



















“Dad keeps snoring…I’ll have to try somewhere else…”



















“Who said that?”

















“I know, I’ll try here…”


















“or here…”

















It took me over 30 years to find myself… I just hope it doesn’t take him that long.

As mentioned at the beginning of this post… I don’t want to bore you with photographs of all the animals… but I hope this post gave you a small flavour of my day at Englands amazing Costwold Wildlife Park.

8 comments:

Anonymous said...

Hey, that's a fun way to spend the day !

You pictures are actually pretty good - I know how hard it is to take pictures of animals...!

There was a similar park close to where I grew up, I used to go a lot when I was young. Cool post !

Lorelai236 said...

What fun! That peacock is beautiful.

Simon said...

Some great photos you have there. Sounds like you had a great time.

AZZITIZZ said...

WOT!! Sun here in England!!
Mind you, one day of sun I suppose that's right, that was our summer, glad you enjoyed it. It was actually sunny here in t'North yesterday, but today it's back to normal, grey and dull again. Typical. Tomorrow is our local Carnival, just hope the rain stays off long enough for the parade. I may do a piece on our Carnival for my blog on Sunday. Nice pics by the way.
:)

Practically Dutch said...

You are a very talented photographer, i enjoy your photos so much. I wish i had a talent! I see you are not feeling so good either.. i am feeling a lot better - was just some freak sicky bug i think.

Enjoyed your post!

Take care - Rachel

Deadpoolite said...

Always ace with your pictures I thoroughly enjoyed this post. However, there is a certain species missing:

Deadpoolus Blogofrenzius, I mean they used to have him in that park for 5+ years... Oh yeah, now I remember, I escaped , lol!

Tasty grass by the way add some salt and you are in vegetarian heaven:)

Too bad I am not one:)

Till next time then...

JILL SMOLINSKI said...

Oh, I just love meerkats! (Maybe I watched The Lion King too many times). Great pics...feel better!
Jill

Alice said...

Hi Graham,

Beautiful photos and the animals are so cute!!!!

Graham's Photobook....Through The Eyes Of A Dreamer

Please click on the link below to view or purchase my new book.