Sunday 29 June 2008

June 2008 Photography Challenge Results - "The Moon" or "Moonlight"

"It's not the camera that takes a great photograph, it is the photographer"
Thank you to all of you who have contacted me about the monthly photograph challenges, and well done to those of you who have posted their interpretations. I am amazed at the quality and imagination that you have each shown in your results. They are all so enjoyable!!





Below is a list of each of the participants and their work:



Chica X at Photo-Projectz used her creativity and created a fantastic design, exploding with colour.



Liss at A Memory Forever who, after a game of hide and seek with the moon, had the ingenious idea to capture it during the daytime - a wonderful contrast of "Day and Night" all rolled into one.



Robin at Naked in Eden created some amazing and imaginative swirls and squiggles using the light of the moon contrasting against the darkness of the night sky.



Ingrid at Boricua in Texas has captured a breathtaking photograph of the Waxing Moon, a moon that is almost full - just starting to fade into the darkness.



Michelle Dawn at Rusin's Roundup has managed to capture the guiding light that is provided by the moon. The streaks of light provide a mystical feeling.



Zhu at Correr Es Mi Destino captured a wonderful nighttime scene, with the brightness of the moon set against the backdrop of the evening skyline



Azzy at Azzy's Blog-A-Roonie has caught a wonderful photograph with the moon in the night sky contrasting against the silhouette of a tree.





Once again, I would like to congratulate all of you on your wonderful interpretations. The thing I find most amazing about this challenge, is that yet again each and everyone of you have managed to capture the moon so perfectly, yet each from your own very unique perspective.



It just leaves me now to reveal my very own contribution to the June 2008 photography challenge....







Like many of you, this was the very first time I have actually tried to photograph the moon. I tried to capture it at various times of the night, using countless settings... some successful and some rather unsuccessful...lol! Also, as many of you found, the weather has a large amount to play when taking photos of the night time sky.

I was glad with how this one turned out, as it shows the contours of some of the craters. I have always been fascinated by the moon and the stars, and this challenge has certainly increased this fascination. I can see myself attempting more and more night time scenes in the future.

Whilst I was looking for inspiration for my challenge, I stumbled upon a wonderful poem by Robert Louis Stevenson, titled "The Moon". It seemed so fitting to the challenge, that I couldn't resist adding it to my photograph.



I will be posting July's challenge in the next couple of days. I look forward to seeing all of your interpretations!!!!

Cheerio for now,

Graham Ettridge

9 comments:

Kelly Ann said...

Everyone did such a fab job! The reason why I didn't photograph the moon was simply because my camera is not that good, it's stellar, but not that much! lol.

It would have turned out a white circle on a black background, but perhaps in the future I'd be able to do it.

Looking forward to the July Challenge!! :)

Wayfaring Wanderer said...

Fantastic shot, Graham!

Anonymous said...

Wow, they were some great entries this month! I think the pictures are becoming better and better months after months!

Your picture is beautiful... The moon looks so close! "can you believe... they put a man on the moon, man on the moon..." ;)

Memories Of Mine said...

Hi Graham,
I love your moon shot this is originally what I set out to achieve, but just not meant to be for me I guess. You have captured a lot of detail in the moon, the craters on the side and the darker shadows give it so much character, it really does look so wise. The poem is really fitting and you have displayed the whole thing so beautifully.
I have also checked out all the other participant’s entries They were all so well done. Can’t wait for you to announce next month’s subject.

Anonymous said...

Wow look what you inspired in all of us Graham! I went to look at the other moon photos and was very impressed. And met some new and interesting people. I wanted to thank you for doing this for us all, as it must be a bit of work putting all these links together in a post. However it was really fun for us; I'm sure the others all agree! You're a gem! Hugs, RainforestRobin

Daszzle said...

I love the moon photo and complimentary poem. I have a thing for all things celestial (you should see how my apartment is decorated!), yet I've never read this poem. What a wonderful and most pleasant find. Thanks for sharing!

Graham Ettridge said...

Hey Chica, your interpretation was fantastic and fun... I'm gonna have to try that for myself one day. I can't wait to see your photo for the July challenge :) And thanks for the award. It means more to me than words can describe.

Jessica, thanks hun! And thank you for the Fridge Art Gift!!!!!!! Really THANK YOU! THANK YOU! THANK YOU!!!

Zhu, I so truly agree... everybody excelled themselves this time... they were all fantastic (including your wonderful capture!). I look forward to seeing your July image :)

Thanks Liss, and I agree with your comments about everyone's photographs... you all did brlliantly!!!!!

Heyyy Robin :) I am so pleased that everybody joined in... it means a lot to me so see everybody having fun. Thank you for your kind words :)

Hiya Daszzle :) I admire things celestial too, just thinking about them makes my mind wander. Thanks for your kind comment!

Anonymous said...

I think you did a fantastic job of capturing the moon. You rule!

Graham Ettridge said...

Meleah, thank you so much! Your words mean a lot!

Graham's Photobook....Through The Eyes Of A Dreamer

Please click on the link below to view or purchase my new book.